Sunday, June 24, 2012

Red Herring

It's been a bit since my last post, mainly due to a week-long family vacation to Myrtle Beach, SC that we booked and paid for over a year ago. The only way I was gonna miss this trip was if I was still in the hospital with at least three machines hooked up to me. I give a specific number like that because the missing this vacation due to just two machines was not gonna happen; I have two hands, one machine per hand... I'm going!

Luckily, I didn't have to resort to checking myself out of the hospital at the chagrin of the wonderful doctors and nurses that took such great care of me. Instead, I hopped in the family-mobile and we drove 10 hrs (including TONS of stops for me to get out and walk around) to Myrtle. We had friends that joined us down there, so we made a great time of it, despite the fact I had to sit in the hotel room most of the time, recuperating.

The term Red Herring is extremely applicable to the issues I've faced this past week.

Folks use Red Herring when referring to something that is ultimately discovered to be a diversion from the real truth. Magicians use their hands, face and voice to draw attention while performing complex slight-of-hand tricks, causing the audience to look one way, while the true trick is being done elsewhere. 

At a deeper level, though, the real falsehood is this: there is no such thing as a Red Herring. Herring fish are not red, nor is there a red variant. Rather, Red Herring refers to a fish (usually Herring, but not always) that has been soaked in a brine so long that it causes the flesh to turn a shade of red.

My physical recovery from the surgery has been fast and relatively painless. My laparoscopic incisions are healing nicely, and I no longer have the searing pain in my abdominal muscles when I sneeze or get out of a chair. I report all of this with a slight air of disbelief, even though the evidence is right in front of me. I expected much more pain for a longer time, with the physical recovery taking a significantly longer time than it has.

More surprisingly though is the amount of difficulty I am having getting my head around my new eating schedule and requirements for water intake.  I've mentioned about the water intake in a previous post. It's gotten slightly better, but it hasn't yet progressed to the point where it's easy to get 64oz of fluids into me, 2oz at a time.

As everyone knows, I'm a serious research hound. I spend dozens of hours a week researching everything that interests me, so imagine the time I put into researching Gastric Bypass Surgery!

All the things I read about prolonged physical recovery from the surgery were a Red Herring indeed. But at a deeper level, even while chastising myself for not seeing through the ruse of that Red Herring, I have found there is no Red Herring at all, because there simply is no easy path from Morbidly Obese to Healthy.



5 comments:

  1. WOW Steve--this is the first time I realized that you've been blogging your journey. It sounds intense...but I know what a determined, capable, disciplined guy you can be. You can do this! I'm proud of you for taking control of your health, even if it's not the easiest path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britt! It helps SO much to hear encouragement from friends. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I know it's a healthy suggestive practice to have eight (8 oz.) glasses of water each day, but does your new diet demand it for some reason, or is it still simply a suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Jeff!

      Before the surgery I easily consumed 64oz of water a day. If I was thirsty, I'd just go to the sink and get a big glass of water and drink it while standing there. I also got water in the soda I drank and the fruits, veggies, and other foods I ate.

      Now, post-op, I can only drink 1oz every 15 minutes, and I only eat 6oz a day.

      If I don't keep an eye on my water intake, I get dehydrated very quickly. And even if I'm super thirsty I can't chug a big glass of water; my thumb-sized stomach won't allow it.

      So for now, I need to sip water all day in order to keep hydrated. :)

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a very drastic change in consumption. And, it also leads me to the next question... Is the 6oz food limit a temporary post-op restriction, or just the newly reduced digestive capacity of your stomach?

      As for fluid intake, I guess that means there will be a stack of plastic shot glasses beside the sangria dispenser this year, huh? LOL

      Delete